Monday, May 30
Nobody told a dirty joke. Nobody tried to one-up the others. We just got together this morning to enjoy each other — the Urban Farmers.
We’ve been meeting for years, third Saturday of the month. Guys who know how to get dirt under fingernails. Guys who make a worthy living in medicine, ecology, education, counseling, engineering, administration and bus driving.
Two have died, wonderful chaps — Mark Smucker and Donovan Miller.
Today’s was a $675 breakfast. That is, we bid up a meal offered by Mil Penner, a donation to Mennonite Economic Development Associates. This year’s projects are two: a city garden and a women’s project in Myanmar.
Here is Mil over the coals.
Buns baked over the coals.
Conversation after breakfast …
- MEDA in Myanmar
- Mennonite Disaster Service in Detroit
- SOOP (Service Opportunities for Older People) in Colorado
- Myanmar residents in Indy
- The Indianapolis 500
- The nasty effects of the one percent residential tax cap
- Blue Indy, Uber and the mass transit proposal
I am grateful for these guys.